Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Mile 36: Steward, Techie and Dance Machine


After about 2/3 of the voyage, some of our crew members were set to debark and return home to their families. They had been on the ship for about ten months without a visit home and were thus getting a two-month holiday. To my chagrin, many of the crew that I had befriended was amongst the departing.

First, my glorious cabin steward Julius (I know, I can’t believe I have one either!), the master of all kindnesses, had learned my habits and assisted me without my prompting. He knew that I ate breakfast around 8am every morning so he usually “did up” my room while I was gone. This meant that I had fresh towels, a crisply made up bed and freshly vacuumed floors every morning! Julius brought me extra pillows and blankets when I needed them, kindly greeted my in the hallway whenever I passed and speedily did my laundry when I set it out (we don’t have the option to do our own laundry but I still wash some things in the bathroom sink). Saying goodbye to him was very sad!

Departing with my steward were a couple of Indian crew members I had gotten to know well. The first was Oswin, the genius computer tech guy. He sat in the computer lab and patiently helped students with their computing issues, printing problems and cell phone traumas (one got dropped into the toilet, surprise!). Ozzy, always dawned the greatest smile when I saw him and reserved a warm hello. He dressed in crisp white attire and hung out with the other Indians on board: Bala and Vijay. Beyond his willingness to assist, Ozzy was a computer hardware and software genius! I still run into many students and faculty who bemoan his leaving – he was that good!

And finally, the dance machine himself, Vijay served as the bartender up in the faculty/staff lounge called Glazer. My favorite place on the ship, Glazer is synonymous with social (or happy) hour and friends frequent this location almost every evening. Behind the bar, Vijay (and Mandy) mix up an array of cocktails including gin and tonics, manhattans, old fashions, and many others. We got to know both of the bartenders well. When Janet Six, an Anthropology faculty member from Hawaii, asked me to play Indian music during her birthday party in Glazer, we found out that Vijay has some serious and unmatchable dance moves. He soon began to dance whenever Indian music was played in the evenings and then started instructing us on how to “dance” his way. So, needless to say, we were sad to see Vijay go back to India for his holidays. I told him to please eat some custard apples for me and eat at the paratha house. He sent me a photo of him completing my requests!
The crew on the MV explorer work harder than anyone can imagine. They wake up way before dawn and head to bed late at night. They silently and generously assist us in our daily activities and never remove the smiles from their faces. The dining crew cook meals, set out plates and dishes, clean up the dining hall after us, serve drinks to our table and always aim to learn our names. The hospitality crew wave to us in the halls, stealthily wash down the ship and bring us fresh drinking glasses (and sooo much more!). To me, they are the primary reason for the smooth voyage we have had. I know a simple “thank you” won’t be enough, but I’ll start there anyway and hope my gratitude can be realized in other ways too. Thank you Julius, Ozzy and Vijay (and all the others) for welcoming us into your home (the MV) and sharing stories of your lives back home. Thank you for the quiet acceptance of our mess and craziness without judgment. Thank you for asking about the best parts of our voyage and listening intently. And, most of all, thank you for letting us be a part of your lives for a short while. We miss you already!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tanvi -

    Not sure my comment posted as my iPad locked up....In case it didn't appear, I found (and love) your blog after it was posted on the SAS Facebook page. I'm sailing in the spring. Now that you are nearing the end of your incredible voyage, how would you modify your packing list? And what Apps have been most beneficial?
    Thanks much in advance!
    Nancy
    ps It looks like you are from Merced - will you come to a rock the boat open house in San Diego Jan 5? I'd love to meet you if you will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy!

    Thank you so much for your post! It has really been an incredible voyage and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the ship and the packing list. I would probably take more clothes than I originally put on the list because one gets quite sick of wearing the same shirts all the time (and the laundry might shrink some of them). I would bring stronger magnets because the ones I had were weak and thus I bought a few on the ship. You don't really need to bring meclizine since the clinic provides it for free. I would bring more pepto bismal tablets and more over the counter non-drowsy dramimine though. I didn't bring a baseball hat but I needed one for the emergency drills and general heat on some days. Then, I bought a ton of stuff in ports too that are pretty bulky to carry: kleenex, snacks, lotion, shampoo, etc. If you are not specific about brands for these items, I suggest you spend an afternoon in one port early on buying these supplies instead of packing them. Finally, bring currency from different countries if you can. I brought some but would get a little for every port next time because then you don't have to go searching for an ATM on the first day. Hope these tips help! Feel free to email me (tanvi4@gmail.com) if you have any questions.

    Cheers,
    Tanvi

    PS. I am hoping to be at the Rock the Boat if I can in Jan so perhaps I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanvi -

    I hope I get a chance to meet you at the ship in January. I'll be there with my friend from SAS from 40 years ago. You will know us as we will have cans of diet Dr Pepper in our hands. It was how we met way back then!

    Have you found any of the apps you thought you needed in September to be especially useful? You mentioned some communication - Skype, What's App - and several others. What's worked?

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. And WELCOME HOME! I hope the culture shock wears off quickly! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,

    Hello! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the ship in Jan but I wish you all an amazing voyage! In terms of apps, Whatsapp was the most useful. We can used it on the ship but most people just used it in port. Viber is banned on the ship but I did use it on land to call friends and family back home. Skype is also banned on the ship but again, people used it in port. Other apps that helped were Tango (could use this one on the ship), Citymaps2go, Google translate, and any currency exchange app. To be honest, I used my phone and apps much much less than I thought I would. It just a slow connection on the ship so most do not load. Hope that helps! Good luck and as always, send more questions at any time. Happy sails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanvi- So sorry you wont be able to make it to San Diego but i can imagine you are up to your eyeballs restoring your former life while adjusting to the culture shock of the USA. i hope you are managing the changes without too much trouble.
      I am glad to hear the apps that seemed so useful here were less important that you thought they might be. As I accumulate items in my to-go pile, I wonder about their usefulness. Apps, which are not my forte, loom out of my pile with a sense of forboding as my fear is not being fully prepared! silly, I know, as all I really need is a few clothes and a toothbrush. Still there are those creature comforts that make life easier - the task now is recognising which ones are truly necessary!
      A few weeks to go and this will be in my past :)
      May our paths cross someday.

      Nancy

      Delete